We’re hiring a Junior Full-Stack Developer!
About Pixie Labs
Pixie Labs is a digital agency based in London. We’re a cross-functional team that offers an end-to-end innovation and digital product development service, from concept outline to polished product in the hands of customers. Our core expertise is web and mobile application development, business process automation, machine learning, AI and chatbots, and the Internet of Things.
Our clients include Twitter, HomeServe, Shakespeare’s Globe, News UK, Taylor St. Baristas, and a number of exciting startups who we’ve helped to bring their idea to life. There’s more information about the work we’ve done with clients here: https://pixielabs.io/work-for-clients.
Once a month, on a Friday, we ‘down tools’ to work on our own ideas and build our skills. These side projects include cryptography tools, Slack chatbots, a machine that pours wine over the internet (really!), and open-source libraries. There’s more information about our ‘Friday Kicks’ here: https://pixielabs.io/work-for-kicks.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for a junior developer to join our expanding team in our London office. We work together closely as a team, and everyone pitches in to get the job done. If you’re equally excited by coding, testing, fixing bugs, speaking to clients, creative problem solving and idea generation then this is the perfect role for you.
It’s essential that you like working in a team and enjoy a fast-paced environment. We expect you to have sharp analytical and communication skills, manage your time well and take responsibility for getting things done.
We have a public engineering playbook, which has a lot more detail about the way we work as an engineering team. We encourage you to read it before applying to help you decide if we’re a good fit for you.
We work with a whole range of technologies, but ideally, you will have some experience with any two of the following:
- Ruby (in particular developing with Ruby on Rails).
Additionally, knowledge of any of these technologies will elevate your application to the top of the pile:
- ReactJS or React Native.
- Native app development for iOS or Android.
- Front-end frameworks like Bootstrap & Foundation.
- BDD / TDD testing frameworks e.g. RSpec.
- Databases such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, or Hadoop.
- Version control using Git.
- Experience of agile software delivery.
Finally, whilst we’re not expecting you to be knowledgeable about everything, if you’re interested in exploring any of these topics, there’s also scope for you to learn:
- Linux server administration.
- Digital and analogue electronics.
- Learning other programming languages.
- Machine learning algorithms such as clustering, natural language processing, recommendation engines, etc.
Most importantly, you should be willing to learn new skills and develop existing ones. Bonus points if you have a few of your own code experiments that you want to showcase!
- Competitive salary dependent on experience.
- Flexible working hours.
- 20 days leave (excluding 8 bank holidays), increasing by 1 day for every complete year of service up to 25 days.
- Your choice of laptop and peripherals (e.g. external monitor).
- Great office in Chancery Lane with exceptional coffee and regular team lunches.
- Season ticket loan.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Budget for training.
The application process
Please, no agents whatsoever. If you would like to apply for this position, here’s what the process looks like:
- Send your CV along with any relevant links (portfolio, GitHub username etc.) to email@example.com. Once we have received it, we will let you know within a couple of working days if we want to go ahead or not.
- We’ll get in touch for a quick call to say hi and answer any questions you might have.
- We’ll send you a tech test, and the guidelines we follow for marking it.
- After you submit your tech test, we’ll assess it. It shouldn’t take us more than a couple of working days.
- If you do well on your tech test, we’ll arrange for you to visit our office for an interview. This will typically take between one and two hours. This is an opportunity for us to get to know you, for you to get to know us, and includes a couple of fun tech challenges. This will take place with our MD and head of engineering.
- We’ll ask you for details of one or two people who can provide us with a reference.
- If everything checks out, we’ll extend you an offer. We’d typically expect you to make a final decision within a couple of days. This is for your benefit; we may be continuing to assess other candidates.
If at any stage of the process we don’t think we’re going to be able to hire you we’ll let you know ASAP.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom.